What is financial modelling?
Financial modelling is one of the most highly valued but less understood skills in finance. The objective is to combine accounting, finance, and other business metrics to create an abstract representation of a company in Excel, forecasted into the future.
There are many types of financial models with a wide range of uses including: Budgeting, Project appraisal, Financial statements, or more intricate applications such as making business decisions at a company, making investments in a private or public company, pricing securities, or undergoing a corporate transaction such as a merger, acquisition, divestiture, or raising of capital.
Why do you use Excel?
Forecasting a company’s operations into the future can be very complex. Each business is unique and requires a very specific set of assumptions and calculations. Excel is used because it is the most flexible and customizable tool available. Customised software, as an alternative, can be too rigid and won’t let you have the flexibility to adapt to ever changing business needs.
At the end of this two day course delegates will;
· Understand the step by step process to build a successful model.
· Have reviewed the essential Excel skills to enable them to apply the required logic in the model.
· Have reviewed financial concepts to enable successful project evaluation.
· Have built and developed the following models.
o A discounted cash flow project evaluation.
o A Loyalty program cash flow forecast for a well-known retail company.
· Understand the separation of input, process and output, using extraneous variables to generate scenarios for different results.
The two-day course will focus on the following areas of competence;
Excel skills review;
· Logical functions
· Referencing functions
· Financial functions
· Error handling functions
· Arithmetic functions
· Aggregation functions
· Date functions
· Ranking functions
· Text functions
Tools and features
· Formula evaluation / tracing and diagnosis
· Customising the Quick access toolbar
· Customising Excel (Options, the back-stage view)
· Form elements and controls
· Data tables
· Conditional formatting
· Custom formats
· Charts and templates
· Worksheet and workbook protection
· Function Wizard
· Auditing tools
· Keyboard shortcuts
· Basic VBA
Review of Relevant financial concepts and financial functions
· Discount rate
· Present and future value
· Internal rate of return
· Cost of debt and cost of equity
· Weighted average cost of capital
· Free cash flow to equity and to the firm
· FX rate
· PMT, RATE, PV, FV & NPER functions
· Inflation rate, real and nominal values
· IRR, rolling IRR, hurdle rate
· NPV, XNPV, and XIRR functions
Who should attend?
• All managers,
|Fee:||R 6 950.00 excl. VAT